Who said grilled cheese can’t be luxurious? This week, our chefs added a few twists to make the nostalgic dish extra-indulgent. We’re talking slices of fresh mozzarella, truffle-flecked caramelized onions, AND truffled sour cream for dipping. On the side, there’s roasted potato wedges and a heap of lemony mixed greens. Yeah, this is one grilled cheese you may just feel inclined to break out the white tablecloth for.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 unit Yellow Onion
1 unit Lemon
4 ounce Fresh Mozzarella (ContainsMilk)
4 tablespoon Sour Cream (ContainsMilk)
0.07 ounce Truffle Zest
4 slice Sourdough Bread (ContainsWheat, Soy)
2 ounce Mixed Greens
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 tablespoon Butter (ContainsMilk)
4 teaspoon Olive Oil
• Small Bowl
• Baking Sheet
• Large Pan
• Large Bowl
1. Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. Slice potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Halve lemon. Thinly slice mozzarella. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and ¼ tsp truffle zest (½ tsp for 4 servings; we’ll use the rest later).
2. Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 8-10 minutes. Add 2 TBSP water and 1 tsp sugar (2 tsp for 4); cook, stirring, until caramelized and jammy, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in remaining truffle zest. Wipe out pan.
4. Place bread on your work surface. Top half the slices with an even layer of mozzarella and onion; top with remaining slices of bread. Melt 1 TBSP butter in pan used for onion over medium heat. Add sandwiches; cook until golden brown on first side, 3-5 minutes. Flip and add another 1 TBSP butter to pan; cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes more. TIP: For 4 servings, you may need to cook in batches, adding 1 TBSP butter for each side.
5. Meanwhile, toss mixed greens in a large bowl with a large drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Slice grilled cheese sandwiches in half on a diagonal. Divide between plates with potato wedges and salad on the side. Serve with truffled sour cream for dipping.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Original recipe link: Truffled Onion Grilled Cheeses