Deconstructed Truffled Chicken Pot Pie
SERVES: about 6 people
1 3 - 4 pound whole chicken
2 quarts homemade or store-bought chicken stock
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup celery, roughly chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp Italian parsley, roughly chopped
½ tsp fresh rosemary (¼ tsp if using dried)
2 bay leaves
1 package puff pastry
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 egg whites
4 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 large celery rib, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
½ tsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
1 tbsp Sabatino Tartufi Truffle Zest®
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Rinse and cut chicken into 9 separate pieces: 2 wings, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breasts, and 1backbone/carcass.
3. In a large stockpot, add chicken pieces, chicken stock, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat to a slow simmer, cover and cook chicken for 45 minutes until tender and falling off the bone.
5. On a sheet tray, add puff pastry, folding once to create a double thick crust. Brush 2 tbsps of melted unsalted butter and 2 egg whites onto puff pastry and bake about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm.
6. Remove chicken from broth and set aside on a baking sheet and cover loosely.
7. Strain stock using a chinois or mesh strainer into a large heatproof bowl and discard solids. Let stock cool slightly.
8. In the empty stock pot, melt 4 tbsp of unsalted butter over medium-high heat. When melted, whisk in ½ cup of all purpose flour, whisking constantly to prevent burning. Allow the roux mixture to cook slightly to a light golden brown color (about 5 minutes), then slowly pour in 3 cups of reserved stock, whisking constantly until thickened slightly (about 1 minute).
9. Stir in chopped onions, carrots, and celery and continue cooking and stirring until onions are slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
10. Stir in white wine and increase heat to medium-high bringing mixture to a boil before reducing heat to low. Taste mixture and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, then add peas.
11. Pull chicken meat off the bone and roughly chop into bite-sized chunks and pieces. Discard skins and bones.
12. Gently fold chicken into pot pie mixture and let warm through, about 3-5 minutes.
13. To serve, spoon a serving of the chicken pot pie mixture into the center of a deep bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of Truffle Zest®, and garnish with a triangle of baked puff pastry. Repeat for remaining bowls.
14. (optional) For a touch of sweetness, feel free to add our Sabatino Tartufi Truffle Honey to the crust for a sweeter accompaniment to the pot pie filling.