Smoked Truffle Chipotle Slaw
This recipe keeps things fresh and crisp with a 1-to-1 combination of apple cider vinegar and mayonnaise. It’s the perfect crunchy, smoky, and sweet accompaniment for your summer barbecue.
½ head of green cabbage (about 1.5 lbs), shredded or thinly sliced
½ head of red cabbage (about 1.5 lbs), shredded or thinly sliced
2 medium to large carrots, peeled and grated or julienned
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
½ cup of Apple Cider vinegar
½ cup of mayonnaise (preferably Kewpie)
1 medium clove garlic, finely minced or zested
2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
2 tsp Sabatino Tartufi Truffle & Smoked Sea Salt
Black pepper to taste
NOTE: while we prefer Kewpie mayo for its lighter texture and brighter rice wine vinegar base in this recipe, just about any mayo will work.
1. In a large bowl, combine green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and onion, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly and let stand 5-10 minutes.
2. While slaw sits, in a separate bowl make dressing by stirring together cider vinegar, mayonnaise, minced garlic, chipotle powder, and Sabatino Truffle & Smoked Sea Salt until fully combined. Set aside.
3. After 5-10 minute resting period, place cabbage mixture in a colander over a sink and gently squeeze excess moisture from cabbage. (This leads to a crispier, less soggy slaw. For a softer slaw, leave moisture in.)
4. Return cabbage mixture to large bowl and toss with reserved dressing. Add pepper to taste and adjust sugar and salt to taste.
5. Cover and refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight to let flavors combine. Serve and enjoy!